You are here > Home > All about Water Softeners > What does it take to fit one
All about Water Softeners :
The modern water softener is designed to fit into an under counter
cupboard. Typically sited in the kitchen, utility room, garage, outside and a
few other places downstairs.
The usual installation involves softening all the water in the house from
the rising main stopcock with the exception of a new hard water mini tap at the
sink and sometimes the garden tap.
In general terms, put the machine where it is easy to get to for filling with salt and run all the
pipes back to the rising main stopcock. A slightly harder installation is better than a hard to access water softener. Locations need to satisfy the following:--
- A loop back to the ring main so that all the water is softened without accidentally missing out parts of the property.
- A line from before the softener loop to hard water tap(s).
- A waste water connection. Not as big a dishwasher or washing machine, but still a route to regular domestic waste pipe.
- Access to power for 12v transformer. Water softening the water is non-electric, but accurately counting the litres of water used requires electronics.
- Accessibility. About once a month, the water softener will need to be refilled with 10Kg salt when the Salt Monitor is telling you the salt is running low.
Supplimentary water softener dimensions:
If all that sounds scary and too involved, rest assured although it is true that
there is a lot more involved in a water softener installation than most people
realize, the Marlborough factory has accumulated an unparalleled depth of
installation knowledge since 1982. We have often shown prospective customers how
it can be done when others have said it can't be done.
quick, neat and completed in one day by Ensign staff, no sub contractors or external plumbers with Ensign.
We would be pleased to advise on suitable softener sites in your home as part of our
free home site survey service,
You wouldn't drive a car without a fuel gauge would you? Then why own a water softener without a salt monitor... (more)